Thursday, June 24, 2010

How to Defrost Something Quickly

I am often spontaneous when it comes to cooking, and I can never remember to defrost meat or fish a day or hours ahead of time. I also dislike microwaves (I do not own one) because they affect the taste of food and may decrease the nutritional value. Instead I put the frozen item, still in it's original packaging or freezer bag, in the sink and run hot water over it. Make sure the packaging is water tight.

This should defrost most foods within 20 minutes, depending on the size of the item. The more surface area it has, the faster it will defrost, so when I store food I make sure each piece is flat and not stacked or folded over. Sometimes I cut meat into small, stir-fry size chunks before freezing. Fish may take a little longer than other meats; my guess is this is because it contains more water.

No comments:

Post a Comment